“The Crate List” June 2014
Welcome back to The Dirt Network’s monthly crate late model rankings page. June was a great month for crate racing as races we feature on this page were completed at 7 different tracks. Specials at Lernerville and Freedom were supported by weekly races at Sharon, Pittsburgh Motor Speedway, Marion Center, Dog Hollow, and Roaring Knob.
The Crate list will follow this format, I will be looking at weekly and touring race results for the crate tracks in this area with emphasis on the Fastrak and RUSH series. So here is The Crate List for June!
1. Josh Holtgraver – Consistency played a big part for our new #1 driver. Josh drive his, Rocket chassis to 2nd and 3rd place finishes at his home track, Pittsburgh Motor Speedway. He also finished 2nd at the RUSH Touring series race at Freedom and 3rd place at Lernerville with many heavy hitters from our area in attendance. The driver of the #00 D & T Auto Body capped off the month with a 4th place finish at Roaring Knob. He sits at 7th in the RUSH weekly points and 2nd in their touring series points.
2. Chad McClellan – A win at the RUSH touring race at Freedom cemented the driver of the #119 Lazer chassis onto the top 5 again for this month. Chad sprinkled in a 4th at Roaring as well and leads the RUSH Touring series points and a solid 5th in RUSH weekly points.
3. Andrew Satterlee – The “DEWS” exploded onto the list this month as the driver to beat at Marion Center and Dog Hollow Speedways. Andrew grabbed 2 wins at Marion Center and a win, a 2nd and a 5th place at Dog Hollow. The Satterlee Petroleum team headed south to Charlotte. NC to run with a strong Fastrak series contingent and finished 8th!
4. Will Thomas.-Will had an up and down month of May as the loss of his father Bill and a great racing ambassador is a hard pill to swallow. But Will and his Colonial Metal Products sponsored Rocket Chassis picked up 2 straight wins at Sharon speedway and a 4th that started off the month.
5. Michael Lake- running Roaring knob quite a few times this month and posting finishes of 2nd , two 3rds and a victory shows the Warrior chassis, Bobby Lake Motorsports driver is going to be a top contender for years to come. He currently leads the RUSH weekly points standings.
Keep an eye on these drivers, they are knocking on the top 5’s door!
1. “Flyin” Ryan Montgomery -strong finish to the month with a win at Pittsburgh and Roaring Knob.
2 Rick Singleton – a win and a 2nd at roaring knob add to Ricks growing trophy shelf.
3. Mike Laughard . 2 wins and a 2nd at Dog Hollow, a 2nd and 3rd at Marion Center
4. Nico Dibecco. -3rd at Sharon, 4th at Roaring Knob, 4th at Lernerville and 2nd overall in RUSH weekly points
5. Russ Kolesar- burst onto the scene with a win in his first race at Pittsburgh, and a 4th the next time out.
AREA CAR COUNTS
Here were the average car counts for May in the Crate Late Model division.
SHARON 15, 18, 14 average =15
MARION CENTER 7, 10, 9 avg =8
DOG HOLLOW 14, 9, 14, 14, avg = 13
ROARING KNOB 21, 15, 15, 15, avg = 16
PITTSBURGH 19, 20 avg = 19
LERNERVILLE 20 cars
FREEDOM 19 cars
Last month I had George Kowatic on our honorable mention and after a win at Roaring Knob his teams engine was found to be illegal and the RUSH series suspended him and car Owner Bobby Lake for a year.
June 6th Dog Hollow Speedway (Strongstown, Pa)will host the “Thunder Dog 25” $1000 to win. They run a hybrid rules package allowing both RUSH and Fastrak engine seals and tires.
RUSH June 7 Roaring Knob Motorsports Complex (Markleysburg, PA) $1,500 to-win
“Bill Hendren Memorial”
RUSH Sunday, June 8 Pittsburgh’s PA Motor Speedway (Imperial, PA) $4,000 to-win
(“Steel City 100” – 100 laps/30-car starting field)
RUSH Friday, June 20 Potomac Speedway (Mechanicsville, MD) $2,500 to-win
RUSH Saturday, June 21 Winchester Speedway (Winchester, VA) $2,500 to-win
Well thats it, that’s the list for June! See Yinz at the races! – Brian “Dobie” Compton